Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Unnatural Tendencies



A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of being asked to open an exhibition for two of my most favorite jewellers, Melinda Young and Lauren Simeoni! There is Unnatural Tendencies as well as a show that Mel and Lauren have curated, Unnatural Acts which also has a bucket load of great jewellers in it! Get along to Craft  to see not only these super shows but also two other most excellent exhibitions.

Below is a copy of my very short speech!



Unnatural Acts Opening Speech at CRAFT 18/10/2012

Instead of opening this show with interpretive dance
as was suggested to me, I though I would borrow some wise words from


Hey, you know what paradise is?
It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be.

But you know what truth is?
Its these artists standing here,
asking you to question how and why,
and hoping you will discuss it over dinner tonight,
thats truth, thats love.

Now while Charlene sings 'I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me',
it seems that over the last four years Melinda Young and Lauren Simeoni,
have been grafting their own paradise onto the outside world.
I has been my privilege to have have seen this project morph and grow,
to watch how these artists works have truly become not only a collaborative endeavour
and but also an indistinguishable aesthetic.

Last year Melinda and Lauren opened their gardens gates and
invited eight jewellers to share in their plastic paradise.
Each given a bag of the same materials, (which you see here in the middle of the display)
were to used or be inspired by, to create their works.

These jewellers are asking you to question, to wonder where each piece will be placed on the body. They want you to take joy in their creations, but also to dig a little deeper,
because not all is well in the Garden of Eden, but not all paradise is lost.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment